Despite the fact that I’m out of school for the summer, I seem to be busier than ever right now. I took a summer job at a restaurant five days a week, plus I’m still working one day a week at the non-profit I’ve been working with for a couple of years. It’s all a bit exhausting but I need to save up a little before I start my internship in August. I think I’ll eventually get the swing of this whole six-day work week, but in the meantime I don’t have a lot of spare time on my hands and I need my meals to be really quick and easy. So, let’s keep this short and sweet and skip ahead to the food, shall we?
One of my go-to quick meals is a stir-fry. There are so many ways you can make a stir-fry. All you need is a protein, lots of veggies, and a reliably tasty seasoning/sauce combination. Serve over rice or noodles and you have a super simple healthy meal. The other night, I had half a can of coconut milk left over, so I decided to make a Thai inspired stir-fry. If you like coconut curry, you will love this and it is so easy! I used chicken, but really any protein would work here. Enjoy!
Basil Curry Stir-Fry
Serving Nutrition: 329 calories, 30.9 g protein, 18.8 g fat, 719 mg sodium, 9.2 g carbohydrates
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-1.25 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 breasts)
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced (or ¼ tsp ground ginger)
1 Tbsp fresh turmeric, minced (or ¼ tsp ground turmeric)
7 oz canned coconut milk
2 Tbsp Thai roasted red chili paste (like the one from Thai Kitchen)
2 oz fresh basil, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
1. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
2. Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
3. Add onions and cook until translucent, then add garlic and cook for about a minute.
4. Add chicken and salt & pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add bell pepper and cook for another couple of minutes.
6. Stir in ginger, turmeric, coconut milk, and chili paste and let simmer, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes.
7. Stir in basil, remove from heat, and serve.